During their teenage years, children naturally want to separate from their parents as they seek to form their own unique identity.
A child who was at one time responsive to their stepparent’s discipline may become resistant. If you’re a stepparent going through this, encourage your partner to address problems with their teen so you’re not the target of their negative attention; this will help protect the more vulnerable relationship you have with them.
If you have hit a rough patch it can be tempting to think it will be like this forever. The teen years are not an easy stage but they are a stage so don’t give up.
Continue to model and promote the values you want to encourage even when you don’t ‘feel’ like it. Your commitment to your partner and family will speak louder than words and teaches children to explore their way through difficult times instead of escaping them.
“Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.” Robert Fulghum
Blended Family Advisor
p.s. Check this out…
Special offer: ‘Step Family Life: Help your children survive and thrive’ revised and updated version
Step Family Life: Help your children survive and thrive
You’ll receive an overview of the commonly recommended skills and traits to encourage in your children/stepchildren. This is your chance to learn how to train them to make good decisions for their life and become responsible, respectful and independent adults. You’ll learn how to build your family into a supportive team plus much more. Here’s just an example of some of the things you’ll discover:
- How to Help Children Identify and Express Feelings
- Help your Child to Form Positive Relationships
- Sibling Rivalry: Achieve harmonious relationships in your family
- How to help Children through Change
- Understanding the only child
- How to help children of divorce to heal
- Is a new baby right for your family?
- Family Meetings: How they can transform your family
- Values: How to pass them on
- Family traditions: Why you need them
- Giving Back: How to create considerate children
- Developmental stages your step family will progress through
- Keys to blending successfully
Limited edition, don’t miss out. Order now!
For only 15.95 (plus postage) you’ll receive your copy of this practical and inspiring manual that will equip your family to succeed!